"Five historians outside the Biblical accounts testify to the existence of Jesus." - by Robert Harman
Let’s take one fact from the Bible: Jesus. Did he live? Is Jesus recorded in any historical documents except the Bible? He is! Jesus is mentioned in at least five outside references, according to historian Paul Maier.
1) The Roman historian Tacitus tells us that Emperor Nero blamed the burning of Rome on the “Christiani, followers of one Jesus.”
2) The Jewish historian Josephus, born four years after Jesus’ crucifixion, wrote this:
“At this time there was a wise man called Jesus, and his conduct was good, and he was known to be virtuous. Many people among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die. But those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion and that he was alive. Accordingly, he was perhaps the Messiah, concerning whom the prophets have reported wonders.” --Paul L. Maier
3) Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho, c.150 A.D. mentions Jesus repeatedly.
4) The early church historian Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History, c.300 A.D.
One of my favorite stories from Eusebius is about the woman healed by Jesus after suffering for 18 years from continuous bleeding. I tell about it in the video, if you missed it. After her healing she had two bronze statues made: one of herself reaching out to touch the hem of Jesus’ robe, and one of Jesus! She placed them one on each side of the gate to her property. Eusebius himself saw these statues around 300 A.D.
5) The earliest Christian apologist, Quadratus, wrote a defense of the faith to Emperor Hadrian c.117 AD. The only portion that has survived reads:
“Our Savior’s deeds were always there to see, for they were true: those who were cured or those who rose from the dead were seen not only when they were cured or raised but were constantly there to see, not only while the Savior was living among us, but also for some time after his departure. Some of them, in fact, survived right up to our own time.” --Paul L. Maier
Is the Bible true?
History says Yes!
In four related articles, I briefly look at other evidence that supports the Bible. I hope you enjoy them!
4 Top Archaeology Discoveries That Back The Bible
The City That Fulfilled 6 Biblical Predictions
Two Surprises of Geography That Prove The Bible
Two Methods To Know The Truth
The Journey of a World Changer starts here…
Read the First Chapter here on Amazon